Known commonly in the bodybuilder circle as one of the most powerful weight loss supplements, who knows that 2,4-Dinitrophenol or DNP is initially used as a component in pesticide, explosives, and dye? This makes the human consumption of DNP can lead to death. Here we will find out about DNP weight loss, what is DNP and what it can do, so keep reading.
What is DNP?
DNP is a short form of 2,4-Dinitrophenol and it was discovered to have the capability of reducing weight in 1933, Maurice Tainter is a researcher from Stanford University who then sells the drug as a dietary aid. It looks like yellow crystalline powder.
The DNP will decrease the cell’s efficiency in producing Adenosine Triphosphate or ATP. This will lead mitochondria to use up more energy to make the ATP and will increase the metabolic rate as well as burned calories which result in weight loss.
After many people died in 1938 reported to be connected to toxicity caused by DNP, some countries like the UK, USA, France, Canada had banned DNP from the market and registered the chemical to be very dangerous and not for human consumption.
However, the drug made a comeback in the 1980s under different names and resulted in one death from it. Though many people, mostly from the bodybuilder community, claimed that they can see the DNP weight loss results, the side effects are much more frightening. Some others claimed that they lost up to 3kg as their 1 week DNP results.
The benefits of DNP
- The main benefit of DNP weight loss is that it is claimed to be able to help lose weight.
- DNP can increase one’s metabolic rate. With the presence of DNP, a cell will produce ATP, which will have a reverse effect in normal conditions or the absence of DNP. More ATP production means more use of energy, this is why the metabolic rate is greater.
- DNP can cause more production of internal heat as more energy is used for producing heat rather than converted to ATP. More heat production means more caloric consumption.
- It is considered to be used by lazy dieters. With increasing metabolism and suppressing appetite, one will not need much effort to lose weight.
- DNP can lower carb tolerance. Many people swear by a low carb diet and it is proven as one of the most chosen diet options. DNP causes a low ability to handle carbs and this will result in less carb intake which can lead to more weight loss.
The side effects of DNP
- DNP will lessen the ATP production, which will cause an increase of internal heat. The heat increase is fast and uncontrollable which mostly leads to cardiovascular failure and eventually causing death.
- The exposure of DNP can cause short and rapid breaths, increased heart rate, and blood pressure. This can be very dangerous to those who have hypertension and heart disease.
- DNP will raise the body temperature rapidly and drastically and can cause a fever and worse case is hyperthermia.
- Blindness or dinitrophenol cataracts and vision problems are also the most common side effects of DNP.
- There is no certain or safe dose of DNP intake. One dose may feel beneficial to someone but can be lethal to another. Slight overdose can lead to severe side effects and even death.
There are still many other side effects caused by DNP intake or exposures and it must be remembered that they are normal and not the case of overdose. The DNP weight loss is not something that people should try since many other safe and healthier diet options are available to try.
Things to Know about Adderall Weight Loss