Corona virus causes COVID-19 to be very easily contagious. Therefore, the use of Personal protective equipment (PPE) should be done to control and prevent the infection of Coronaviruses. The PPE is very important to be used by people who often meet COVID-19 patients, such as medical personnel in hospitals.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is a set of equipment that serves to protect its users from certain health hazards or disorders, such as viral or bacterial infections. When used properly, the PPE is able to block the entry of viruses or bacteria into the body through the mouth, nose, eyes, or skin.
One of the most risky groups of infectious diseases, including COVID-19, is a medical officer, either a physician, nurse, or other medical officer who frequently contacts with a COVID-19 patient.
Therefore, medical personnel who frequently contact with COVID-19 patients need to use the standard PPE to keep them protected from Coronavirus infections.
For workers, the use of Personal protective equipment (PPE) is very important. Especially if you work in a place that is at high risk of accidents, injuries, or infected diseases, such as in a construction area or in a health facility.
Personal Protective Equipment Types for Health Worker
- Surgical Mask (Medical / Surgical mask): Loose – fittings and able to block splashes and large particle droplets
- N95 Respirator: Should be sealed strictly around the nose and mouth
- Eye Protection (Goggles)
- Face Shield
- Screening Gloves (Examination Gloves)
- Surgery Gloves (Surgical Gloves)
- Disposable dresses
- Medical Coverall
- Heavy Duty Apron: Disposable plastic material or high quality reusable plastic material.
- Water-repellent Boots (Waterproof Boots)
- Shoe Cover: Should close the entire leg even to the calf when the dress used is not able to close down. Material: rubber or waterproof material or can be coated with a waterproof cloth.
The principles that must be fulfilled in the selection of PPE
The principles that must be fulfilled in the election of PPE include:
- Should be able to provide protection against specific hazards encountered (splashes, direct or indirect contact).
- The weight of the appliance should be as light as possible, and the appliance does not cause excessive discomfort.
- It can be used flexibly (reuse or disposable)
- Not pose any additional hazards.
- Not easy to damaged.
- Meets the provisions of the existing standards.
- Easy maintenance.
- Does not restrict motion.
Please note that the PPE that should be used by construction workers is certainly different from that which must be worn in hospitals or in other health facilities.
Use of personal protective equipment
Ideally, all these tools should be used for your full self-protection. Such protection tools are useful to prevent the following conditions:
- Lung disorders caused by breathing contaminated air
- Broken bones in the hands and feet or scratches due to sharp objects that accidentally fall
- Blindness due to splashing of harmful chemicals into the eyes
- Skin damage, such as burns due to contact with hazardous chemicals
- Health disorders due to overheating or cold temperatures
Personal Protective Equipment Types for work safety
There are the types of PPE that must be known either for producers and health workers, namely:
Head Protection Tool
As the name suggests, the Head protection tool serves to protect the head from collisions due to falling objects, getting hit, or dropping. This tool can also protect the head from exposure to heat radiation, fire, and exposure to chemicals, microorganisms, to extreme temperatures.
Head protection tools that can be used include helmets, hats, hair safety, or tools designed specifically to cover all parts of the head.
Eye and face protective equipment
This tool is used to protect the eyes and face from exposure to hazardous chemicals, debris of metal materials, dust, gases and harmful fumes, to radiation. Examples of eye and face protection tools are:
- Safety Goggles
- Goggles are shaped like glasses for diving
- Overall facial coverings, as often used by welders
Each type of eye and face protective equipment is used in different situations. So, make sure the protective equipment is made of materials and shapes that fit your working risk.
This type of self-protective equipment is usually used by construction workers who have to withstand the sound of machine and heavy equipment used. In addition, workers who often dwell with excessive noise pollution are advised to use them.
Exposure to sound too noisy, even in a short time, it is still dangerous for ear and hearing health.
To protect the ears, there are some forms of earplugs that can be used, ranging from those used outside the ear (ear muffs) to the ears (earplugs).
Other PPEs for work safety:
- Respiratory protection equipment
- Hand protective equipment
- Foot protective gear
- Protective clothes
- Safety belt and strap
- Life vest.
Read also: Respiratory Diseases That Need to be Wary of
Thank you very much for reading Personal Protective Equipment For Work Safety and Health Worker, hopefully useful.