Poison ivy is a plant that oil in its sap urushiol is an irritant that can cause allergic reactions and rashes. In fact, allergic reactions can appear even if you do not touch this pointed leafy plant directly.
Have you ever heard of someone having an allergic reaction due to poison ivy? This is a plant that oil in its sap urushiol is an irritant that can cause allergic reactions and rashes. In fact, allergic reactions can appear even if you do not touch this pointed leafy plant directly.
This urushiol oil can be left in gardening equipment, shoes, pet fur, and more. Accidentally rubbing against the traces of this poisonous leaf can cause skin irritation to extreme itching.
Poison Ivy Plant
Poison ivy refers to some members of the genus Toxicodendron radicans or Rhus radicans. Poison ivy has reddish and branched roots. The leaves are rather large and have three parts of each branch.
Poison ivy is usually found in woody areas, shrubs, and humid places. It is commonly found throughout Eastern North America.
Another characteristic of poison ivy is its growth form. Poison ivy can be vines in the form of short, erect shoots, or plants that propagate on trees and hairy.
In most people, poison ivy is a poisonous flowering plant that is famous for causing contact dermatitis caused by urushiol, itchy rash, irritation, and sometimes pain.
What is poison ivy?
Poison ivy is a condition in which the skin experiences an allergic reaction caused by a resinous substance called “urushiol” on ivy leaves, stems, and roots. Ivy is a shrub-type plant that can cause severe irritation of the skin (contact dermatitis). Skin affected by Poison Ivy can become dry, red, or feel burned. If the tree is burned, smoke from burning can affect your lungs.
Poison Ivy Symptoms
If you have an allergy to Poison Ivy, the most common symptoms are rashes and blisters. The symptoms usually last for several days or even weeks. Other side symptoms include itching and mild pain. In addition, you will also be deaf to breathe when breathing air from the burned Ivy.
There are also some characteristics and symptoms that are not mentioned above. If you have the same complaint, please consult your doctor.
Poison Ivy Causes
Contact with any part of the tree or ivy plant oil (resin) can cause allergies. Direct contact can include touching a tree or indirectly touching something containing Ivy tree resin. Resin also sticks to clothing, feathers, and other objects where the poison can stay in for a long time, and can cause itching.
Some of the risk factors below can affect your chances of developing Poison Ivy, namely:
- Construction employees
- Workers who install electrical cables or telephone cables
Also, if you’re camping, fishing, or sightseeing in remote areas, you’re likely to experience Poison Ivy disorder. The absence of risk does not mean you are free from the possibility of exposure to the disease. Characteristics and symptoms written for reference only. You need to consult a doctor for more information.
Poison Ivy Diagnosis
Generally, doctors can easily diagnose a person exposed to poisonous leaves just by looking at the skin area. There is no need for further examination such as a biopsy.
It’s just that, maybe the doctor will hesitate to establish a diagnosis of poison ivy poisoning or other skin problems such as psoriasis. Because, the symptoms are similar, namely a reddish rash on the skin.
But the difference is that the rash due to psoriasis will usually reappear even though it has been cured. This is a chronic autoimmune disease.