Dexamethasone is one of anti-inflammatory drug of corticosteroids that plays a role in reducing or suppressing the process of inflammation and allergies that occur in the body. At the molecular level, glucocorticoids are suspected to affect protein synthesis in the RNA transcription process.
What Is Dexamethasone Used For?
The drug is used to treat:
- Inflammation (anti-inflammatory),
- Rheumatic arthritis,
- Allergic dermatitis,
- Itching in the skin
- Allergic rhinitis.
- Bronchial asthma
- Use in COVID-19 patients *)
In the use of this drug should COMPLY WITH the DOCTOR’s INSTRUCTIONS.
*) A group of scientists from the University of Oxford conducted drug testing of dexamethasone for 2,000 Covid-19 patients. They compared with 4,000 patients who are not given dexamethasone.
As a result, about 19 out of 20 patients with Covid-19 heal without having to be taken to the hospital. What’s more, dexamethasone proved to cure the patient critically or in severe conditions.
In the UK, Dexamethasone was used since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic and has saved about 5,000 lives.
The World Health Organization (WHO) welcomes early findings of the use of dexamethasone to treat Covid-19 patients who are in critical condition.
Dexamethasone Brand Name
Dexamethasone brand name / trademarks: Dextaf, Dexamethasone, Cortidex, Dexaharsen, Tobroson, Cendo Xitrol, Dexaton, Exitrol, Dextaco, Dextamine.
After knowing What Is Dexamethasone Used For, and brand name, here are the dosage of Dexamethasone.
The information provided is not a substitute for medical advice. USE OF THIS DRUG MUST COMPLY WITH THE DOCTOR’S INSTRUCTIONS.
- Early adulthood varies: 0.75-9 mg per day, 2-4 times daily or depending on the weight of the disease.
- In mild diseases, the dose is less than 0.75 mg.
- In severe diseases, the dose is more than 9 mg.
How does the dosage of dexamethasone for older persons?
To treat Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS), Croup, asthma, and anti-inflammatory, the dose of dexamethasone is:
- Oral, infusion, and injected in the form of sodium phosphate: 0.75-9 mg per day in a dose divided every 6-12 hours.
- Inject in acetic form: 8-16 mg, can be repeated every 1-3 weeks.
- Inject in acetate form: 0.8-1.6 mg.
- Inject into the joints or soft tissues in the form of acetate: 4-16 mg, can be repeated every 1-3 weeks.
To treat cerebral edema, the dose of dexamethasone is:
The initial dose 10 mg IV (infusion/intravenous) once, followed by 4 mg of injections every 6 hours until the symptoms of cerebral edema subsided. The dose can be reduced after 2-4 days and is stopped slowly for 5-7 days.
How does the dosage of Dexamethasone for children?
Dose of dexamethasone for children with cerebral edema
- Initial dose: 1-2 mg/kg once per oral, infusion or injection.
- Maintenance Dose: 1-1.5 mg/kg/day, administered in divided doses every 4-6 hours during 5 days later the dose was lowered slowly for 5 days, then discontinued its use.
- The maximum dose: 16 mg/day.
Dose of dexamethasone for anti-inflammatory in children
- 0.08-0.3 mg/kg/day or 2.5-5 mg/m2/day in divided doses every 6-12 hours.
Dexamethasone Side Effects
After knowing What Is Dexamethasone Used For, brand name, and dosage, here are the side effects of Dexamethasone.
Some of the side effects of dexamethasone that users can experience are:
- Appetite increases.
- Weight gain.
- Menstrual cycle changes.
- Sleep disorders.
- Abdominal pain.
Although it is rare, dexamethasone can also cause more serious side effects. Immediately to the doctor when the symptoms appear below:
- Emotional changes.
- The body is easy to get tired.
- Pain in the bones, joints, or muscles.
- Swelling in the limbs.
- Impaired vision.
- Dark stools.
- Heart pounding.
The use of dexamethasone for the long term makes users experience a rounded face like moon face, increased blood sugar levels, and more susceptible to infection. Therefore, avoid interacting with people who are sick of infections or people who have just received a vaccine.
Herbalife Side Effects You Need To Know
- Not to be given to systemic yeast infection sufferers; Systemic infections unless treated with specific anti-infections.
- Cannot be given at the same time as the vaccine
- Decreased plasma concentration with inBoxer CYP3A4 (for example: Barbiturates, carbamazepine, ephedrine, phenytoin, rifabutin, rifampicin).
- Increased plasma concentrations if given together with CYP3A4 inhibitors (for example: Erythromycin, ketoconazole, ritonavir).
- It can improve kidney salicylate clearance.
- It can increase hypokalemic effects of diuretics (acetazolamide, loop, thiazide), amphotericin B injection, corticosteroids, carbenoxolone, and K depletion agents.
- It can increase the anticoagulant effect of warfarin.
- Potential Fatal: It can reduce the therapeutic effect of the vaccine.
The United States Food and Drug Supervisory Agency (FDA) categorizes Dexamethasone into category C:
Studies in animals have shown side effects on the fetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and no controlled studies in women or studies in women and animals are not available.
The drug is administered only if the benefits gained are greater than the potential risk to the fetus.
Thank you very much for reading What Is Dexamethasone Used For: The Uses, Brand Name, and Side Effects, hopefully useful.