Pests are a risk to public and business health. They transmit diseases, cause food spoilage, damage buildings, furniture leaving behind foul smell and unsightly marks. When looked from the business point of view, the presence of pests affects customers in different ways, such as causing bites, illnesses and bad feelings that may lead to bad reviews on social media.
Below is the detailed information on pests that are encountered during outdoor activities:
Mice and rats are easily attracted by food supplies; they are known to nest close to food stores or accessible supplies. They do not venture distantly from their nests. If given abundant food supply, environment with litter, and shelter from predators along with time for maturity they are very well capable of increasing their population rapidly.
Hazards from Rodents
The hazards from mice and rats include:
- Damage to thesewer system and electrical equipment leading damage to buildings.
- Route contamination with urine, droppings and rat filth.
- Damage to the packaging of food containers.
- Transmission of diseases such as Toxoplasmosis, Salmonellosis, rat-bite fever etc.
- They serve as vectors for certain diseases including lice, ticks, fleas,and
Signs of Rodents
They leave specific signs that indicate their presence:
- Droppings of different shapes and sizes.
- Noises such as scurrying sounds, squeaks.
- Oily fur caused smudge marks.
- Urine stains that are visible under UV light are usually left alone by both mice and rats.
Control of Rodents
Harborage elimination, preventing unnecessary access to food, water,and shelter. Acceptable practices of using traps and poison to control rodents. Lastly the use of rodenticides.
They are the most common type of insects that come in the crawling insect’s category. They infest food due to the convenient size that gives them the ability to hide in small places. They also produce rapidly. They nocturnal and come out only at night time to get food and shelter. They usually shelter in places that are hard to reach to maintain sanitary conditions giving them the right temperature and humid condition to survive.
Most Common Cockroach Species:
- German cockroach: This is also known Blattella germanica, about 12-15 cm long with thelight brown body. It prefers humid, wet conditions mostly found in food storage areas and kitchens. It is rarely found outdoors and infests vehicles, offices, bathrooms etc.
- American cockroach: This is also named as PeriplanetaAmericana, being 35-40 mm it is the largest cockroach of reddish brown color. It prefers warm, humid conditions to survive. These are found near waste storage areas or basements.
- Oriental cockroach: Blattaorientalis is the scientific name. It has a dark brown to black body 20-25mm long. It prefers damp, dark and cooler areas for shelter.
Hazards from Cockroach
- They carry a number of diseases causing organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses,and worms etc.
- Their food is the decaying matter such as molds, feces, animal carcass etc which can then also be transmitted to other food items.
- Asthma attacks can be triggered due to the presence of allergens in their dropping and shredded
The practice of good sanitation conditions prevents infestations of cockroaches:
- Proper cleaning practices should be executed that eliminate remnants of food or spills as cockroaches feed on them.
- Stop using cardboard boxes for food storage as cockroaches eat cardboard.
- Drains should be maintained in good conditions to prevent food debris accumulation.
- Weekly inspection regime should be maintained that is essential for risk identification and to prevent infestations.
Among the parents of young children and those families that keep pets, spider bites are of major concern. Most venomous spiders never really bite unless they feel threatened. Spider bites look different for every other species. Like black widow spider leave fang marks whereas brown recluse leaves necrotic marks. The symptoms f a spider bite includes sweating, chills, body aches and tiredness etc.
Banana Spider, Bite,and its treatment:
They are dangerous being venomous and aggressive. To know how to treat banana spider bites, you need to start with seeking emergency help as the bite could be poisonous. If you have been bitten by the spideryouhold seek help immediately. Keep the spider bite cleaned with soap. There is also an antidote for the bite which was discovered by Carlos Chagas from Brazil.
Sometimes the best way to minimize contact with pests when being a part of outdoor activities is the use of repellant, or call professional help for the complete removal of your pest problem.